Sunday, April 25, 2010

John DeBoer

Before even pulling into GVSU this morning i was emotional, having to wipe tears from my eyes much sooner than i had anticipated. John DeBoer was speaking his final sermon to over 800 people today- alumni, current students, family, staff, and professors. While making the drive to GVSU, i thought about how much of an impact John has had in my life. Going to Grand Valley was my second choice. I wanted to go to Hope, but my mom said it was far too expensive. I wanted the comfort of going to a Christian College, but God had other (much better) plans for me. At Grand Valley, i had to make a conscious choice to follow God. As a freshman, away at school trying to figure out who i wanted to be, i started attending Campus Ministry events and church. John remembered my name after the first time we met. His sense of humor is awesome, his teaching from the Bible amazing, and his care for students unbelievable. I remembered while pulling onto campus that John had traveled across the state on Valentine's day to attend my mom's funeral and offer support. . . that was long after i graduated from GVSU. An act like that means so much. Nine years ago, John married us. His John-isms like "100%/100%" and "it's a non-issue" are still heard in our house. His marriage to Sherry is incredible. He always said that couples need to be two independent trees that grow with each other, support and shade each other. I loved that Sherry did her own things, went on her own trips, but supports John 100%. A Friday a month, they would open their home to sometimes 100 college students for a mini retreat. They would grill food and feed us. We would sing songs and do a Bible study with John. Friendships were made, God was praised, and we learned more about having a relationship with God. John has an amazing way of making the Bible make sense and applicable to my life. I have never felt closer to God than i did at college. With his titanium hips and Captain Kangaroo looking face, he loved, taught, and listened to his students at GVSU. He has such a deep understanding of grace and mercy, and such an incredible way of sharing his knowledge and understanding. He was the first one to have me think of things differently. . . to sort them out for myself. Topics like abortion and capital punishment were pondered and i was able to draw the conclusion that we are not the ones to judge. God teaches us to love, not to judge or hate. He doesn't need us to judge. . . He can handle that on his own. John is the eternal optimist, the cheapest first generation Hollander i know, the guy that always wears blue dress slacks & a short sleeve button down shirts with his tennis shoes that he covered the white with permanent marker . His favorite verse, "His mercies are new every morning" has been etched in my mind, especially during rough days.
He lives in Muskegon, so we are able to get together with him now and again. As i saw over 800 people gather to celebrate John today, i was overwhelmed with how many lives John has touched. He started ministry work in 1962 and hasn't done anything but that. He has made an impact on the world as i think about how far people have settled from Grand Rapids and all the kids and babies that were there. He has affected generations. . . even Jaely will be affected by John through her parents.

Thanks, John. I don't think you will ever be fully aware of how you impacted me, TJ, and our marriage.

5 comments:

gail said...

Thanks for sharing--that has become so cliched that I hesitate to use it--but I really mean it. I'm thankful John has been in your lives.

Anonymous said...

What a great job in articulating your feelings. First I heard of your desire to attend Hope. Everything obviously turned out great, but I feel bad you didn't talk to me as we probably could have worked it out.
Dad

Anna said...

Thank you. ❤️

Anna said...

Thank you. ❤️

Anna said...

Thank you. ❤️