Friday, August 06, 2010

Pasta A La Caprese


I made this last week. I followed my mom's recipe that my brother framed for me after she passed away. So special. The recipe. The memories. The thought. My mom used to have me remove the seeds of the tomatoes under cold water. She said it hurt her hands too much. Now that i am 32, i understand what she meant. Although i wouldn't go so far as to say my hands hurt, they definitely weren't comfortable.
One of my favorite things about this dish is the leftovers. They might even be better than when you first make it. I also like that following the recipe doesn't give you my mom's pasta a la caprese. You had to make it with her to know that she used dry basil and jarred sweet peppers, instead of fresh. I used a little fresh basil this time and a little dried. I remember her trying to figure out how to keep the mozzarella from clumping together.
I would have loved to have her sitting across the table from me, TJ, and jaely and eat with us. I would have loved to chop the tomatoes for her while she minced the garlic. I would have loved for her to watch her granddaughter put her finger in the hole of the mostaccholli before eating it and giggling at this discovery.
The leftovers are gone. . . i think i need to make more.

No comments: