Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving

I love that my family comes together on Thanksgiving. My mom would have loved to know that even when she didn't organize Thanksgiving, we would all come together and organize the menu, the timing, and who is bringing what. Ya, she would have been disappointed in the Grand Traverse Pie Company bought pies, but they are just so good. I remember TJ and my mom making apple pies in the harvest gold/avocado green kitchen on Echo. They were delicious. I am sure once tomorrow i will have to say "put some gravy on it" in memory of my mom who often told you how to enjoy your food. And although there will be no sauteed mushrooms or insulated gravy boats, we have added new traditions.

I love having Thanksgiving at our house. What started out as a convenient thing to do since we had a three week old has turned into something that we look forward to and plan. I do miss TJ's side of the family dearly, but it is so nice not to get out of a full day of work, pack things up and drive with two kids across the state for a weekend. I think we may get some rest on this long weekend. And. . . there is always Christmas break, which is long enough to travel and relax. Cannot wait!

I haven't seen Jason and Whitney in a year. Camryn has changed so so much since the last time they saw her. I know my mom would be so proud of us not giving up on family, still making a huge effort to come together and spend time. Jason & Whitney spending money and time to come across the country, my aunt and uncle driving across the state, dad taking a day (or two) off from work, Jered picking up jason and whitney and driving them around to places, all of us bringing food or tables or drinks to our house. I find myself keeping it simple and relaxed. Although i actually feel kind of bad serving dinner on paper plates. . . i may just change my mind on that one. I figure, they are family. The house doesn't need to look perfect. Jered and TJ will be the ones in the kitchen the most, both enjoy cooking greatly. And Jason has a fairly recent new found love for baking and cooking. He is making his homemade pretzels. I will clean up. . . that is where my talent is. I did make homemade mac & cheese and a cheese ball, but that is about all i am good for.

I can't wait. I have so much i am thankful for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ditto to all of that. It was a wonderful day. Your house is so warm and welcoming (and 2 hours closer!) Thanx to everone for the hard work and I promise to contribute next year, if invited. Love, Dad