Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Sounds

The sounds of my snoring husband mixed with the heavy breathing and little squeaks coming from my youngest daughter make my heart a happy one. Cami is nestled and sleeping in the crook of TJ's arm, sucking ever so gently and rhythmically on her binky. Soon, her lips will part and the binky will fall out, revealing her perfect pink lips and she will continue to sleep soundly. I just checked on Jaely, the sound of her rain machine coming from her room and her night light shining through under the door. She has surrounded herself with her friends during her first night back in her bed after staying at relatives. She has changed her pajamas after we said good night and dressed Ella in the pajamas that she was wearing. She has each friend set up on a pillow and you can tell that she has read them a book before tucking them all in. She too is breathing heavily. She was one tired bug from all the festivities of her trip. She was asleep in no time.

The house is very quiet, except for the soft sound of the rain machine and the heavy breathing from all of its sleeping occupants. I enjoy quiet. Without Jaely home these last few days it has been too quiet. But when there is such potential for loudness, i love the quiet. . . the peacefulness, the tranquility.

TJ's snoring makes me smile (most of the time) and so does Cami's little sighs. I wish i could hear my mom's laugh one more time. I wish my mom would have been able to experience the quiet moment of holding her sleeping granddaughter and giggling with her oldest granddaughter. Jaely's laughter mixed with my mother's would have been a delightful sound.

I love our home. How quiet and peaceful it can be and how sometimes it feels like it is going to burst with energy and laughter. How every occupant can be crazily dancing in the living room one moment and snuggled under blankets the next. I love family, being so relaxed and loved for who i am. I love being still, being thankful, being quiet. Lately, this is a rarity, but i am thankful for it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully expressed.
love,
gail