Thursday, May 15, 2008

Missing Family

Maybe it is because TJ is gone. Maybe it is because we now have a daughter. Maybe it is because i am at home all day. Whatever it is, i miss my family. So many of my friends go shopping with their sisters, hop over to their mom's for a dinner, meet their brothers for lunch during their lunch hour, hang out at grandma's for a barbecue, go fishing early in the morning with grandpa, and it is just considered a little outing. Not something they have to pack for or something they have to save up for (with current gas prices a trip across the state can be expensive). They can be spontaneous. At least weekly they have their families seeing their children grow. They can go to sporting events or all hang out on a sunday. When i grew up my grandma and aunts and cousins were so close in proximity. We could walk to my aunts to be watched while my mom ran an errand or we could go and borrow flour. We would stop there on our way home from places just to chat. i look at Jaely asleep in her swing, and i can't help but feel like we are cheating her of having wonderful relationships with her family. Sure there will be many visits, but is that enough? Would that have been enough for me when i was growing up?

I know i just go on and on. I am not looking for a solution because there really isn't one. My family is so spread out. . . moving wouldn't solve anything. And everything else about where we live is perfect. Jaely will love growing up here. I just want her to have deep relationships with her family. I want her aunts and uncles to really be a part of her life. I guess that is asking a lot.

Well, i gotta go feed her. I think i really need an outing. Because TJ is out of town my night will be the same as my day. . . the same feeding, changing, watching TJ, rocking kind of pattern with nothing to break it up. My friend offered to have a sleep over at my house tonight. . . i am thinking i should have taken her up on that. I am tired. Haven't talked much to people today. Maybe after i feed her, i will run up to meijer to get a picture that is ready for our frame. This would be the perfect situation to bop over to a family member's house. . . only none are in bopping distance. Again, i complain. Bye.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey sis! I think I know how you are feeling. I miss you guys a lot, especially when there is joy to be shared like Jaely. I miss how effortless it used to be to spend time with you all. I was telling Whitney a couple weeks ago about how we used to have dinner at grandma & grandpa's house like every Sunday back when we were way young (you may not even remember?). And we'd see Aunt Carol every Wednesday after school and stay the night. And it seemed like there was always something going on over at Aunt Sharon & Uncle Joe's place, at least until they moved up north. Good memories.

On the bright side, once the oil runs out and civilization collapses, we'll probably all be living with Dad at his place up north, scratching out a bare existence from the land, eating whatever the soil provides us and whatever the men can bring home from the hunt. Global warming should start to take the edge off the winters up there, though it might just as well turn the whole area into a swamp, who knows? If California doesn't fall into the ocean and take me with it by then, I think I could be quite helpful chasing off interlopers and regaling little Jaely with stories about the old days and these magical things we had called electricity and running water!

OK, this has gone off the tracks a bit, sorry. I'm going to call you this weekend. Happy belated mother's day!

Jason

Anonymous said...

I know it's hard to be without family nearby. I'm always sad that Corbin won't have aunts and uncles and cousins nearby...although neither did I growing up.
If you are ever lonely, you can always come over here...cause chances are Corbin and I are lonely too. :P

Charity said...

Silly girl! We we're all together last night for home community, and it would have been great to have you and Jaely! Hope the lonliness passes quickly. Maybe we can get together soon? (Adeline promises not to hit Jaely :-)

Ang said...

I grew up with no uncles or aunts or cousins or Grandparents in town. Going to see anyone was a big trip. And always so exciting. I think it made those relationships feel like great treasures.

But I also cannot argue with the fact that it is wonderful...a very decadent pleasure to be able to spend time with so many of the people I love so easily now. And that Maya and Sophie have a billion cousins that they get to see weekly, sometimes even daily.

But really. Whenever you need to get OUT...(I know this feeling well)...I live very close to Target, the mall, Barnes and Noble....and we would LOVE to have a visit from baby Jaely and you anytime!! It might make us feel less stir-crazy too. Sometimes, when you are out..and you need a place to rest, a place for Jaely to nap or get out of her stroller for a while, a place to feed Jaely (that's more comfortable than in public with a blanket...or in your car in a parking lot) we are about 1 minute away :)

And we miss you!