Monday, September 03, 2018

Seeking Balance

The definition of balance is "a condition in which different elements are equal or in the correct proportions."

As school begins tomorrow, I am striving to keep balance in my life.  There are so many "different elements" I have in my life and keeping them in the right proportions is a tremendous feat.  School tends to disproportionately take my time and my energy, leaving little left for my family and my health.  Recently, about seven weeks ago, I made health a priority.  Before, it wasn't even considered.  So, although I am thankful that my health is getting great attention, it means there are even more "elements" to keep in check and keep balanced.  Thankfully, the program I am on is easy.  There have been many back to school seasons where I am on a diet or a program, and as soon as the stress of school presents itself, I struggle.  When I struggle, I make mistakes.  When I make mistakes, I give up.  When I give up, I gain 50 pounds.  Not this time.  I am learning that it's not about perfection, but about the process.  This year, some things at school are just going to have to be okay.  And, I hate that.  I hate not giving it my all, but my all is never enough anyway.  My kids, my husband, my health deserve attention as well.  I am trying to accept that there are deadlines I may not make.  There are best practices I might not be able to do.  There is feedback that might not be as timely as I would like.  I am going to do the best I can with the time and energy that I can give to school.  I am going to be mindful of balance.  I am going to take care of myself and my family.  I refuse to get sucked into the stress.  If you see me, ask how I am doing with my goal of balance.  Better yet, ask my kids how they think I am doing with it.  That will be a truthful perception.



No comments: