Thursday, April 30, 2009

Basement Blues

This morning, i went downstairs to check out the situation. We had water down there, but there were still dry patches of floor. I made sure the pump was working outside. TJ has been pumping water out to a little ditch from our backyard. The patio was under water and now the top was above water, thanks to the pumping. The water was finally going away. . .


Then it RAINED. . . hard.


I went to GR. I couldn't sit around and listen to it rain and worry all day. There was nothing i could do any way. Last night we were up late moving things that we didn't want to get wrecked either up higher or out in the garage. We have a ton of plastic tube, so a lot of our stuff we stacked on those.

We fed jaely, gave her a bath and were getting her ready for bed, when i heard something fall in the basement. TJ went down there to discover our tubs floating. Since they were floating, the stuff we stacked on them had fallen into the seven inches of water.

These pictures are after we moved many things up to our garage (thankfully TJ cleaned that out last weekend)


The water has moved past the bottom of our furnace, so that is currently off. We called Serve-pro and they said there is nothing we or they can do until the water on the outside is nearly gone. We have to wait/ wade it out. It is hard to sit upstaits, knowing that right below you is gallons of water. . . moving up your insulation, up your drywall, up the carpet on the stairs, up the couch and recliner, up the desk TJ made and his wooden 75 gallon fish tank stand. . . This is slider downstairs. The water is past the bottom.


Both our neighbor's and our property are surrounded by big and little bodies of water that after today's rain have all connected to eachother. The water covers our patio and the first layer of our garden. We have lived her almost 6 years and we have not had anything come close to this. This is absolutely CRAZY!

TJ's sexy legs in our basement






I know, a lovely picture- you can't tell that i am frowning. . . these are my cheeky chimp shorts. Pants just don't work in a situation like this. . . nor do shoes. The water is cold, and dirty, and i am confident i will get some kind of funky foot fungus or later find a grub between my toes. I do wonder if the moles drownd in the water. That would be one good thing. . . i guess. I am glad that jaely is a really good sleeper.

If we can't stay warm. . . Jaely and i are going to hang out at my sister-in-law's house. I think we will be alright.

We need sunshine and a strong warm breeze. TJ is taking tomorrow off and renting a "big ass pump" that will suck the same amount of water in a minute that our current pump takes an hour to pump. I LOVE spending money on fun things like this.

3 comments:

Sarah Starr said...

I hope the "big ass pump" works wonders. I know the horrors of a wet basement, but nothing like this. Upside...at least you aren't wading in poo water. Naw, I'd take the poo water.
I hope the pump helps and things start to dry out. I'll pray for sunny skies for you guys!

Daniel Rudd said...

so sorry guys. I'm sure you know to take lots of pictures and inventory your damaged stuff for insurance claims (but I'll say it anyway for your other readers).

Do you need help?
seriously, if you do, we'll work something out to help you.

Lindsey said...

Daniel- we have taken many photos. Unfortunately insurance does not cover these kinds of things. . . not just our insurance either- lots of people i have talked to are in the same boat we are. I haven't talked to anyone that is covered. When we finish the basement we will have to get a rider of some sort. :( Just money going out with the water. . .

Thank you so very much for the offer. I think we are okay for now. Looking forward to the party tomorrow. . . we won't have to move any boxes or furniture when we come, will we?