Sunday, October 15, 2006

Chicago

Five years. Five fabulous years.Wow. . . five years filled with celebration, cheek-hurting-smiles, joyful laughter, an unbearable sadness, dreaming, comforting, cuddling, peace, unbelievable love, committment, enjoyment, and friendship.

TJ and i went to Chicago to celebrate our five year anniversary. We decided to do something a little different than our "normal" cedar point anniversary. We enjoyed a relaxing train ride into the windy city and took the bus to our beatuiful hotel. We relaxed, took a nap, went out to eat at a rustic italian place that had phenomenal homemade pasta and delicious bread dipping oil. Then, we went back to the hotel and changed for our evening at the theater. Wicked was an outstadning show. We loved it. I have been humming the songs ever since i saw it.

The next day we went to The Art Institure of Chicago. TJ has never been there, and i went so long ago with my dad that i could hardly remember anything but the lions and American Gothic. The building itself was beautiful and the sunlight poured into the windows. After that we went out and about shopping and admiring the architecture. We ate at the Cheesecake factory.

The last day we checked our bags at the hotel and checked out. We had 4 hours until we needed to be at the amazing union station. So, we of course ate, and walked around. This is the only time we had the camera. I, of course, wanted to be comfy on the train, so i wore a hoodie sweatshirt. But during the trip, i honestly looked decent. . . really i did.

The trip was fantastic, humbling, peaceful, much-needed. TJ and i needed to spend some time together away from the stresses of work for a couple of days. It took awhile for school thoughts to be replaced with peaceful happy thoughts. The weather, besides the first snowy cold night, was absolutely beautiful. Coming home, i have such a feeling of content. I am blessed with so much. i have so much. So many people don't. It is such a different world over there. Nothing is in hiding. There are people begging for a meal outside of shops selling expensive furs. Oprah and Bono visited the Gap for a launch of clothes that will feed the world, while people are sleeping in a nearby park. Theater goers rush past street performers who are hoping to make some money. Bush visited our hotel and was welcomed with angery picketers. I wonder if he ever gets used to seeing that and hearing that hatred? I ate the most delicious food while others beg for change for their next meal. We were the minority in our train car. Different languages were being spoken all around me, but there was so much love and happiness between families being shared. I couldn't understand the words being said, but i understood.

We made it home at 11:45 P.M. . At 1:00 i was so uncomfortable. I couldn't fall asleep. I had a slight fever. I was getting a ragging bladder infection. I had forgotten to take my one antibiotic that i need to take to prevent this from happening. It was too late. At 2:00 i was sitting in the emergency room begging for some pain medication and antibiotics. At 11:00 this morning i was still sleeping and i have taken two naps since then. My body is tired of fighting, but it is winning!

I'll post pictures later. Blogger is not cooperating.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Cedar Point-less anniversary!?!? Seriously, Chicago sounded like just what you needed...minus the bladder infection, obviously. I'm glad you were able to bask in each other for a while, sometimes that can be very needed. And a re-appreciation for what you have is Always important. I hope you are feeling better soon (and call, we miss you both!!!) and congrats to you both on your five year. I feel honored to have been there from day one :) Love you!

Anonymous said...

Nobody told me about the emergency room! You poor baby--I would have gone with you.

Chicago sound wonderful. And the picture you paint is very thought-provoking. You are gifted at that: see those contrasts and giving them life and breath.

Anonymous said...

Loved reading about your Chicago Anniversary. I am so glad you both have each other. God is so good!

You must have passed on the bladder infection! Grandma has it now. In fact, I am on my way to deliver her antibiotic.

Love to you both!!!! Ant C

Lindsey said...

I must have got the bladder infection gene from her too! I hope she feels better soon

It made my day to see your comment. .. . that is so computer literate of you. Thanks!! Miss you.