Sunday, October 29, 2006

The girls

I am kind of emotional right now, as i sit down to write this. I am overwhelmingly thankful, hopefully refreshed, and somewhat sorrowful. gail and Lori came to visit this weekend. I didn't realize how much i needed time with them, how my spirit needed to be refreshed by them, how my being needed to laugh until i hurt, how i longed to listen to them and how i longed to be heard. I am sad this morning for many reasons. I know that even though that time together was much needed for everyone, it will be a long time before we have it again. That makes me sad. I am sad because even though we don't live vast distances apart, it is enough to hinder our visiting. BUT, i am overwhelmingly thankful, too. I am thankful for their love and friendship. I am thankful for their sincere hearts, their hilarious facial expressions, the sound of their laughter, their stories and their encouragement. I cannot even begin to express how thankful i am that God put those two women in my life

This weekend, we ate. We shopped. We ate. We shared. We watched The Breakup. We talked. We ate. We laughed. I cooked! We hugged. We said goodbye. It is sad how we don't often enough take a break from men and our busy lives to have deep, sincere, meaningful conversations and to nurture our relationships. We need to do that more often. . . even if it is on the phone.

Before the girl headed out, i asked TJ to take our picture. As we posed, Lori started tickling gail's knee, so then i started. We were laughing so hard, we had tears in our eyes. Luckily, TJ captured this moment. gail actually went down on her knees so we could no longer tickle them.

2 comments:

Ang said...

in my somewhat depressing day(s) of honesty with myself this week...sorting through my emotions and emptiness... I realized both on my own...and was reminded in a few conversations of my need for 'the girls' too. i had a long phone conversation with 'my Mandy' and felt a bit nourished. It was too short...not like a good long visit, but it was nice.

I am so glad that you got time with your really close friends this weekend. Isn't fun to just be silly sometimes?

thanks for identifying with my 'disconnect' and leaving your encouraging words on my blog.

maybe we'll both 'snap out of it' soon :)

Andrea Wagenmaker said...

I am so glad you had a refreshing, much-needed time with your good friends. I am praying for you and I absolutely love your haircut :)