Saturday, January 13, 2007

Hilarious Horse Head

I cried when Charlotte died today. I knew it was coming, and i did it anyway. I hated seeing her getting old, losing her energy and her sparkle. Although i do have to admit it took me awhile not to shiver with creepiness when she moved her eight spindly legs across the thin silky strands of hers, but i did come to love her with her multi-eyed face, her puffed abdomen, and her furry looking mouth thing. After the movie, the lady behind me responded "i have never read the book, but i think it is a classic." I was astounded and embarrassed for her. How could she not have read Charlotte's Web? It was one of the best children's books ever that portrays the qualities of a perfect friend and how two ordinary things can come together at just the right time and create something so incredibly extraordinary. If you have never read the book, please don't tell me, but make a promise to yourself that you will read it. promise? Good.

We went to the Pizza Ranch yesterday with the Starrs. Have i ever mentioned on here how much i love. . . i crave their homemade potato chips? They have the perfect amount of crunch coupled with the perfect amount of zestiness. Their pizza is good too. Anyway, this place is a combination of pizza buffet meets cowboy/southwestern style ranch. Bazaar. On the mustard yellow wall across from our table there was this protruding black horse head crookedly hanging. I had noticed it looking at me all through my potato crunching, cheesy pizza eating experience. It was creeping me out. Doesn't it know it is not polite to stare? When my plate was empty and i had had dessert, this older gentleman strolled across the restaurant ever so slowly as he gazed and tilted his head at the decorative horse head and then stopped right in front of it. He was fascinated. Intrigued. Mesmerized. I watched in pure curiosity and wonderment. Getting his face inches from the horse's eyes, ever so slowly he gingerly picked up the reins of the horse and brought them down past the horse's head. Moving his face back a bit, he looked at this change he had caused and contemplated if it was a good look for the horse. He decided it was not. getting closer once again, he carefully brought the reins back over the horse's head and set them gently on top of the horse's head so that one section of the reins fell in between the horse's ears. He stood looking at this protruding horse head. Turned on his heels and walked back to his table to finish his pizza. My eyes were filling with tears as i laughed as quietly has my heart would let me.

No comments: