Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Kids? Pregnancy? or Both?

I don't know if it is my group of students this year, or my hormones or a combination, but i am getting so irritated with my kids. Other third grade teachers are saying the same things, but one is also pregnant. The kids do not listen or follow directions. I model what i am asking them to do. I say the directions verbally as well as write them on the board. I have them discuss what they are going to do next with the kids at their table. I ask "are there any questions someone might have? No questions. Then, i set them free and i have a ton of kids come up to me saying, "i forgot what we are supposed to do" or "what do we do" or " i don't get it" or "teacher, teacher". AAHHHHH! The "teacher. teacher" has got to stop. . . they are in third grade and my name is easy to pronounce.

During direct math instruction about pictographs, i had to tell two students for the second time that day to put their Captain Underpants books away. I love reading and i am glad for their enthusiasm, but sometimes you have to do what you don't necessarily want to.

Thankfully, other teachers feel the same way. Thankfully i have planning tomorrow, unlike today. Thankfully i am pregnant. . . i am just so happy about that. Thankfully i have a job that, for the most, part i love.

I guess i need to pray for patience. I have noticed since being pregnant that my road rage has increased and i often find myself bothered by inanimate objects. These are kids. . . kids who see me for seven hours out of their day. I have so much responsibility, so (too) much influence and power. It creeps me out. I need to have patience. All teachers need it. . . even the pregnant ones. Please pray for us.

6 comments:

Ang said...

It's true....my patience suffered a noticeable dip the last time I was pregnant.
So far, I've only spent short periods of time with my kids at school on only three different days...but I'm sure my tolerance level will be hitting a low soon :)

Anonymous said...

What?!... you had to tell two kids to put their underpants away?! What kind of operation are you running?!
-love jered

Kim said...

El-lis...nope, not hard to pronounce.

Daniel Rudd said...

wish i had a good excuse to be impatient...

...for nine months

...drawing to conclusion in a blaze of excrutiating...

nevermind

--
but I do have some advise:
Don't teach math. It's hard.
Teach something that kids love to do. Like nose picking.

You know, something they can use there whole life.

can't wait to meet your little nosepicker.
:)
Daniel

Anonymous said...

congratulations on reaching 12 weeks!

EastMI-WoodChips said...

Teacher, Teacher no wait, ... Mrs. Elas, no wait Mrs. ???, no wait,.... Teacher, Teacher......