Sunday, April 08, 2007

Easter Memories








Most of my Easters growing up were spent in Florida visiting my grandmas. I remember how excited i got to get on a plane and fly down for about a week to soak up the sun, swim in the pool, dance in the ocean waves, collect sea shells, play card games, put together puzzles, watch grandpa sit so close to the television, sit at the kitchen table and eat graham crackers and milk, visit amusement parks, read, run away from fire ants, chase lizards, eat wonderful food, play on the exercise bike, look through my grandma's jewelry, sit at her vanity table and powder my face, spend my quarters that were given to me in a film canister, play with my grandma's dolls, go for walks along the beach, and turn a deep shade of brown in the sun. One of my favorite days there was Easter (besides going to the amusement parks). We would go to church and have a nice dinner. My grandma would boil eggs and the kids would color them. I mostly remember coloring them with Jason, although i am sure Jered did it too, but he probably stopped due to age during most of my memories. We did all kinds of eggs over the years. . . tye dyed, wax designs and words, glitter ones. Then the adults would put us back in grandma's room and they would hide the baskets (one for each kid) and the eggs. I, of course, got into it and would race around looking for eggs and for my basket. I remember, especially towards the end, Jered and Jason kind of looking while i was racing around excitedly. Then Jason and i would promptly eat the candy. Jered doesn't really have a sugar tooth. . . he ate more of the hardboiled eggs. Yesterday, i sat in the Pie Company getting tears in my eyes thinking of all the good times, thinking of how much money that must have cost my grandma and grandpa to buy plane tickets for 4, sometimes five, amusement park passes, food, and whatever else we wanted. I am so thankful for those times and those memories. I am going to hide an Easter basket for TJ today. He said he would play along and look for it. I, of course, have a strong desire to buy a little Easter outfit for a child of ours, but i know that is not what Easter is about. I just cannot wait to start making memories for a little one. . . cats just don't cut it. Have a very Happy Easter Everyone. If family is reading. . . thank you for all the memories. . . Easter and non-Easter!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What great Easter Memories!! Thank you for sharing them. I hope you and TJ (and the cats!) have a great day today. We miss you and hope to see you soon. Oh, and I love the paint job, but it won't let me leave a comment on it. It looks great though!