Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Feelings of Failure

For the most part, i think of myself as a good teacher. I actually consider the kids lucky that they have me as a teacher. I am fun. I am creative. I do a good job of teaching the material that needs to be taught. Sometimes, though i am reminded that this is not really reality. It hits me in the face. I haven't felt like a good teacher in awhile. There is a lack of pats on the back from administrators this year. There is a constant flow of things we need to be doing better, things we need to teach better, increasing the number of kids that we can reach. Teaching can be such an unsatisfying job. I realize that there are always things i can do better. There are things i want to try, things i want to improve in. But, i need to hear that i am doing some things right. That i am making a difference. My kids took the released fourth grade MEAP test as their third grade post test. This is after teaching my little heart out every day. . . after staying up late planning and correcting papers every night. . . after spending my Sundays preparing and trying to figure out the best way to teach a concept. . . and i got the results from the test today. My kids did terrible. I am also responsible for teaching reading to another teacher's kids. I am sure her kids will do just as bad. I know that this is the MEAP test. . . and not everything can be measured on this test, but i still feel like a failure. It makes me wonder why i spend so much time. Would they have done any worse, if i just treated my job like any other job? Would they have done any worse if i saved some energy for myself when i got home and for TJ? Would they have done any worse if i didn't use my nights and sundays? There has got to be another way. I can still picture the bar graph that has my name on it and shows how my kids did. I try to remind my self there is inappropriate grade level material on there, but that doesn't help because i am still responsible for it. Third graders are supposed to label their answer to an area question cm2 or square cm. They are supposed to infer, synthesize, and summarize. They are supposed to take a stand after reading a non-fiction and fiction selections and back up examples from both selections. They are supposed to know how many vertexes a hexagonal prism has. They are supposed to know metric and standard measurement for temperature, mass, capacity, and length. They are supposed to know expanded notation of numbers and if a story is in the format of cause and effect, sequential, problem/solution, enumerative, or descriptive. They are supposed to know parallel, perpendicular, rays, and line segments. My head hurts.

My jaw is beyond clinched. I am going on my fifth day of not being in my classroom and leaving everything up to a sub. I am not nearly done with chapter one of my thesis. It is due in a week. I am going out of town this weekend, when i am still trying to catch up on laundry and unpacking from last weekend. I feel in over my head and all i really want to do is pick up the phone and call my mom. That actual thought raced through my head yesterday for a split second, until i realized i couldn't. I have a music program thursday night. Just a little recognition would be good. I never realized i was filled by some kind words and was given the strength to move on by just a few words. I have writing assessments galore to correct and a bunch of work they did with the subs for the last four days.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not a teacher but i can relate to the feeling of hard work not seeming to go anywhere. The only difference is that i was working with adults and you are working with children.
You have a special gift and talent with children. A sweetness and caring heart that doesn't go unnoticed. Don't give up, those children need you. Not all tests reflect a teachers effort. You are a good teacher.

Love, Charity

Anonymous said...

Here's the thing. A good teacher can never be measured by a MEAP test. I mean, seriously, how often do you really need to know the vertexes of a prism as an adult. But the things you do need to learn, about how to be a good person, how to love and respect other people, how to love and respect yourself, how to work hard, always do your best, and accept your own shortcomings... I know you Lindsey, and you are a good teacher.. you exemplify what really counts everyday with your own life. I know that your students will learn more from your life's example than they'd ever remember about third grade science!

I know you've had a rough year though, and I really hope that you get a break soon! Maybe come visit your good friend in upstate New York... rolling hills, cute vinyards, peace and quiet... hint hint!

Love,
Mary

Anonymous said...

MEAP tests are ridiculous. We all know that. You can't use that as a way to say if a teacher is good or not (regardless of what administrators might say). I have no idea about vertexes OR prisms. Did those things even exist when we were kids? You are a caring and respectful teacher. You are the kind of teacher those kids will remember in 20 years and say, man, that Mrs. Ellis sure did make a difference in my life. Basically, I'm trying to say the same things Mary said, although less eloquently. You teach those kids what it means to be a good person. They will hold that a lot longer than anything about vertexes. (Seriously, what ARE those things???) I hope things get easier for you soon. Summer vacation is right around the corner, isn't it???

Love, Sarah

Anonymous said...

Please don't sell yourself short based upon quantifying test scores. Everyone who knows you knows you are a great teacher. The effort you put into your job, your caring and deep concern for each and every student, and the beautiful role model you present every day, all day are qualities not yet found in MEAP results. Lindsey, the very fact that you are so concerned with the test results and doubting your abilities indicates, without question, that you are a great teacher! Unless things have changed since I was involved in education, I doubt that even half of the country's teachers would care enough to be upset. It's good you are not teaching summer school this year, you need the "mind enema" a summer off will present. Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Don't let the bastards grind you down!
love,
Jered
p.s. you're still my favorite sister!

Anonymous said...

Hey Lindsey girl, You are as great a teacher as your mother was--you have the same dedication, love for your students, and the ability to inspire them to want to learn. She was one of the finest and so are you. Love you, Aunt Sharon