Saturday, January 19, 2008

Getting Ready

My friend started going into labor six weeks before her due date. That got me thinking. . . how ready am i? I am only nine weeks off. She is a teacher friend that teaches across the hall, so i was left to help out the sub. She didn't have time to get ready, to leave instructions, to leave some sort of a plan on what needs to be taught while she is gone. So, i just spent an hour typing out a "Helpful Hint" paper my long-term sub/friend. I have along way to go, but i already feel better. We have different user names and passwords for our e-mail, gradebook and attendance program, and telephone. Just having those ready for him saves three phone calls once little Gertie is with us! Because he has been a teacher for 30 years, i don't have any worries. I wrote that he can follow my plans, or do what he wants, as long as he does the common assessments for the report cards. He should have fun. There is all that little junk to explain like the monthly book orders, what kids expect on their birthdays, what books we have already read from the third grade book closet, how to pack up my room at the end of the year, etc.

I officially hand delivered my FMLA leave paper and my letter to the superintendent requesting a child-care leave for next year. I am anxious to hear back. This is all so real, yet so not.

Anyway, i am sure i will blog more today, but for now, i am returning to my ' helpful Hints.' I am sure i will 'nest' in my classroom as well as in my home. TJ is, of course, in the garage working away. We did find a bullet heater for the garage that takes Kerosene or Diesel for %50 off at The Home Depot. Good thing because it is 7 degrees out. Lowes and The Home Depot have been out of them forever, but i guess that was a good thing because now they are on sale. I also notice $5 dollars off a gallon of paint now until Monday, so now would be a good time to make a final decision on paint colors for Gertie's room.

No comments: