Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Mom

I cannot believe that today marks five years since my mom has passed away. It seems a lot longer since i have felt her hug, listened to her words, and heard her laugh, yet it seems as painful as a fresh wound. I think being pregnant has made that a bit more strong. My mom loved moose. A few years ago as gail was shopping at kohl's, she ran into a cuddly moose stuffed animal. She bought it and stored it away, waiting for a baby ellis. At my shower on Saturday, gail stood up and spoke before gift opening time. She said the nicest things about my mom. I was crying, smiling, and aching as she spoke. She was saying that if my mom had been at the shower she would be dressed in pink, laughing and being rather loud and excited. She went on to say that her and my mom were becoming friends as they got to know each other, especially after working a garage sale together. She touchingly said that she often sees pieces of my mom in me, and that Gertie too will have pieces of my mom in her. It was so good to hear that my mom will not be forgotten because i remind people of her when i do certain things and say certain words. Gail presented the moose to me and he sat on the table next to me as i opened gifts. I looked at him often and smiled, knowing my mom was there with us celebrating the life of her first grandchild and relishing in the fact that there were so many pink outfits that i was opening. It pains me to think of what my mom and Gertie will be missing out on by not meeting each other, but it brings me some peace to know that Gertie will see what her grandma was like. I am also so thankful for grandma gail. Gertie is a lucky girl.

No comments: