Sunday, August 20, 2006

Summer List

o Write to David
o Stain deck
o Stain porch
o Get pregnant :)
o Clean windows and screens
o Plant front and back gardens
o Ride my bike
o Go to the beach a ton
o Visit my dad
o Read books (not professional!)
o --Small Steps
o --Velvet Elvis
o --Inkheart
o --Ida B
o --The Penderwicks
o --The Wright 3
o ELA
o Summer school (so I can buy something fun)
o PEAK Training
o Sew and Sew some more
o Art Fairs
o Walking with Marilee
o Scrapbooking with Sarah
o Go to Hoffmaster State Park
o Go to San Francisco
o Alecia’s Wedding in Traverse City
o Farmer’s Market (Yummy)
o Lose more weight
o --Five pounds
o --ten pounds
o --fifteen pounds
I made this list right as summer was beginning. The excitment and anticipation of what i was going to accomplish and what i was going to enjoy seems unfamiliar to me now as this summer comes to a close tonight. Tomorrow, i shall be in my classroom all day preparing for the 25 little people that are going to be spending 6 hours of their lives a day with me. I did get a lot done on my list, but there is of course, a lot more that i wanted to get done. Some items obviously out of my hands, some items on there just for kicks and some items almost as a reminder. Right now i am tempted to add some things that i did that were never on my list, but that would be breaking the rules of list making. . .Although, i did add things on to my hard copy that sat on the kitchen counter during my weeks of freedom. If you are not a teacher, I don't expect you to understand the feelings zooming around my being right now. I don't expect you to understand what a needed break summer is, even though it means a break in employment and my contract. I wouldn't expect you to understand the countelss hours that school will now take from my life. . . waking up at 5:00, my evenings and Sundays. But i also don't expect you to understand the satisfaction, joy, excitment and rewards i receive because i am a teacher that cares about my students. Soon my days will be filled with hours of unexpected happenings, unplanned conversations, and unrehearsed events as i am a role model for so many kids. Frightening. So, i wish that i got more done on my list because i fear that some things are just going to have to wait for next summer. They will get put upon the annual summer list until they are accomplished. Well, maybe there are a couple things that can be worked on throughout the school year. . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Experience has taught me how to avoid getting down because of an unfulfilled "summer list"...immediatly begin a "winter list".
Dad