Saturday, August 11, 2007

Pasta a la Caprese

Since my mom passed away in February of 2003, i have had her signature dish, pasta a la caprese, once. A few years ago, tj and i ventured up to my aunt's condo in the UP right on lake michigan. Both my aunt sharon and my aunt andrea made it for us.

Today, i made it. I have been wanting it and have been reminded of it often as the framed recipe, written in my mom's handwriting and stained with olive oil sits on my kitchen shelves by the sink. A precious gift from my big brother jered. I bought tomatoes from the farmers market. They looked and smelled perfect. As i made it, i found that my mom went away from the recipe a bit. Thanks to memories i am making it the true mom way. The recipe doesn't mention anything about seeding the tomatoes, but i distinctly remember her doing it. It made her hands hurt to run them under cold water for so long, so i normally took over for her. The recipe also mentions 20 fresh basil leaves, but i distinctly remember her shaking the McCormick dried basil leaves over the tomato concoction and having me taste it as she went to see if it needed more. The biggest difference would have to be the peppers. It calls for one fresh mild pepper cut into strips. My mom NEVER did that. She bought the banana peppers in a jar and cut those up. The only problem is is that i don't remember exactly how much, so i guessed and looked to see if the concoction looked and tasted familiar. I remember having to go back and get that jar of peppers once or twice in my life because my mom forgot to grab them in the isle. They are always by the pickles.

Now, the tomatoes, garlic, peppers, ground pepper, oil, salt, and basil are sitting in the plastic container covered by the lid. In a bit, i will uncover the bowl and take a little taste, add what it is missing, stir it and cover it again. Then repeat. Unfortunately i do not have it sitting in an avocado green Tupperware dish, like my mom, but i think my container will do just fine.

After it sits and when TJ and i get hungry we will make ziti pasta and add a ton of mozzarella cheese and dump the tomato concoction on the noodles and have ourselves some pasta a la caprese, mom style. Now i see why my mom always doubled the recipe, even though seeding 8 tomatoes got a little tedious. . . you definitely want left overs with this dish. It is one of those meals that are actually better when you warm it up. Here's to you mom. I wish you could come over for a little summer pasta treat, sit at our kitchen table, see our home, and discuss exciting baby things.

No comments: