Sunday, August 05, 2007

So Good to be Home

I get so excited when we pull into our driveway after being gone for just a weekend. I start thinking about our cats around Lansing and make little meowing noises. By Grand Rapids, i get really antsy. I don't know what it is, but i love this side of our state. I love the trees and wild life. I love the lack of traffic. I enjoy going to the farmer's market and knowing the farmers. I love how quiet it seems. And i truly love our home. I find peace on the couch and solitude in its quietness. I love petting our kitties and sleeping in our bed. I love looking at our flowers and reading the Chronicle, no matter how lame it is. I love the color on our walls and the soft carpet under my feet. I love our furniture. I love thinking about future dreams/plans of finishing the basement and putting in a pond. I love my washer and dryer and our tile floor. I like our windows and wood trim. I love our rounded corners of our walls and our hard wood floors. I love looking around and feeling so blessed and gazing at pictures and feeling so loved.

i especially have come to love the life we have over here. Don't get me wrong, family is wonderful. i just feel like this side of the state is for me. . . it is where i fit. It is where i got my education, where i started to choose to go to church on my own, where we got married, where we bought our first house, where we got our first jobs, where are friends are, where my older brother lives and closer to my dad. Where we fit in. We see Muskegon's potential and we are not far from the city of Grand Rapids. We can go to the most beautiful lake and sand dunes and be there in minutes or we can travel a little north and feel like we are on vacation. This is where i belong. This is where we will raise our child. This is home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel about being "home"! I remember the precise moment when I knew this area had to be my "home" and worked over time to make it happen. Doesn't it give you a feeling of serenity and somehow makes you feel connected? Love, Dad.

Anonymous said...

Bingo! That's exactly how I feel about my side of the country: it's home now. It's where I fit in. It's a special feeling you just don't get anywhere else.

We leave for our honeymoon tomorrow. I'm excited!

Jason