Saturday, August 25, 2007

Sewing

In spite of how exhausted i felt, i unlatched my beautiful wooden sewing box and began cutting fabric and ribbon. I cut a stack of fabric last week, but wanted to cut a little more. I then proceeded to make five Loopies by Lindsey. I love sewing. I love my sewing box that my father-in-law made special for me. I love how easy and cooperative my machine runs. There is nothing like a machine that actually runs correctly, has hassle free tension, and is user friendly if there is a slight problem - like having to change my needle. I love seeing my effort turned into something cute and cuddly.

The thing that i love most about making my loopies, is the feeling of accomplishment and pride. I am pretty impressed with myself. I stepped out of my comfort zone. I bought a taggie blanket a year ago and paid way more than i thought i should have and thought to myself "i could probably make this." A week later i was making a prototype and asking people what they thought. I tweeked some things and then started cranking them out. That was a year ago. So far i have sold close to 60, made two giant ones for charities, and given them as gifts to many friends.

I love hearing that so many of the people that have bought them for their kids are so incredibly pleased with them. I hear things like their kid can't go to bed without it, their kid has to have one in their crib and in the car, they carry it with them wherever they go. I have even seen them in pictures of my friend's family get togethers. One of my friends buys them for all her nieces and nephews and now her sister, whom i have never met, needs three of them to give as gifts as well.

Although i didn't invent the idea of having ribbon sewn in loops around a small blanket, i have found a way to make them with better fabric, more of a variety of ribbon, and for cheaper. That makes me happy. I was just told on Friday by a friend whose daughter has one that he saw them at a craft show and they were not nearly as nice as the ones i make. Yeah, i am tired, but i actually feel like i did something with my day. . . something i enjoy, something that gives me some spending money, and something that makes babies and toddlers smile.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

viva capitalism!
love,
Jered
p.s. if you ever make enough that you need to warehouse them... I work for cheaper than Dad.

Anonymous said...

Matthias loves his loopie too!

Anonymous said...

Jered needs to remember that often quality costs a little more! Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Dad does use better quality packing peanuts.. I'll give him that!