Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Cleaning Windows on the 5th of July

It is a rather frightening thought to me. I didn't think my windows and screens were full of such large amounts of filth. I knew they were kind of bad, but nothing that hindered them from doing their job. I was wrong. Dead wrong. TJ helped me clean them. I thought i could do it on my own, and if that was my only option, i could have, but he couldn't just stand there watching me try to juggle everything, so he changed his plans and aided me. I also cleaned the screens. I cannot beleive how much more beautiful, monstrous, and clear these windows and screens are now that they are clean. They can actually function as windows that one can see through and the screens actually let air through them. I figured now that we have grass, there is a lot less dirt and dust floating around, so it was time to clean.

It made me ponder as i was vigoriously cleaning the wndows, what else is mucked up, dirty, and being hindered by its unkempt state? What else am i ignoring or rationalizing into not being so bad. I don't mean physical things. What in my life has grown so filthy, that it ceases to do its job correctly? What is being hindered because i have not cleaned it in awhile? The first thing that came to mind is my prayer life. It is dusty and mucked up and it is hindering me from having a deeper relationship with my God. I think at times i ignore the fact that it needs repair, or sometimes i rationalize it by telling myself that i still pray. My prayers, though, have lost their meaning in a way. There is a distance there now, that there didn't seem to be before. It is so easy to just tell myself that things are fine, but i cannot imagine what it would look like after i dusted it off. God knows my heart, every little crevice, so at times i feel that is good enough. But i again realize that it is not. I cannot listen that way. I cannot learn that way. There is no emotion in that. Today, i pleaded and talked with God and listened to His quiet, peaceful voice. I needed that. I need to keep dusting off my prayer life, so i can see its beauty.

On a lighter note. . .
We went to Grand Haven yesterday for fireworks with Nate and Haras. It was very enjoyable. We got there about 2 and put our blanket down. There were already so many people there. We camped out behind this family that just made my heart ache for the kids. There was a baby that was just in diapers that they left in a portable crib almost all day, besides for like 10 minutes. The baby was crying and getting way too much sun. It was horrible. I just wanted to take that kid home. All the kids were so dirty and completely unsupervised. The four of us went shopping, ate, ate, and walked to the pier and of course watched the musical fountain and the fireworks. Here are a few pictures.

2 comments:

EastMI-WoodChips said...

Oh to be on that side of the State!

Lindsey said...

Yes- This is definetly the place to be!