Friday, July 07, 2006

Is there a rewind button?

We had another Grand Rapids outing today. These seem to swallow up our whole day, but, for the most part, they are enjoyable. Today's outing required TJ's truck because he was thinking of purchasing a jointer (it's a wordworking thing that is rather large, very heavy, and requires a truck bed). Grand rapids has three woodworking stores that we (mostly TJ) likes to visit. I normally just walk around with him for a bit, then i head to the books to look for projects that i think tj needs to do! Of course, they are normally projects for me. Anyway, once i wandered around for a bit, i would head outside, manually roll the truck's windows down , put my prized Vera pruse in the driver's seat, put the keys in the filthy cup holder, take my shoes off and read "The Penderwicks" (an excellent book, by the way). I did this a couple times throughout the day. The last woodworking store stop (Woodcraft), i went outside to read my book. . . sat in the car for about 15 minutes, and then thought i would go see if TJ was making "the big jointer purchase" so i promptly put my shoes back on, rolled up the windows, grabbed my purse, locked the door, and went inside with my book, of course, so i could read in air conditioning for awhile. Tj was still putzing around, so i sat down at a table and began to once again devour the book. After about 15 more minutes of reading, mid sentence i lept out of my chair, spotted TJ's hat, ran over to him and blurted "Did you lock your door?" His response, of course, was "Ya" I replied, wide eyed, "i locked the keys in your truck."

Now, TJ could have asked how or why or told me what i should have done or got upset or laughed at me or rolled his eyes or anything really, but he didn't. I love that about him. I told him three hours later that i really appreciated that. He said he had to bite his tongue at the time. That made it even better. It isn't that TJ is some perfect human that radiates with pure goodness. He is not at all, he is just as filthy deep inside like the rest of us, but it is the choices he makes that i appreciate and love him for. To me, he does radiate with kindness and goodness because of his choices. Sometimes it is the words he doesn't say, just as much as what he does say. Sometimes, it is what he doesn't do that speaks louder than what he does do. He said "i didn't want to say something that would reduce you to tears. It wouldn't do any good to say those things to you." I love him. Maybe he had compassion since just last week he had lost our credit card in Grand Rapids. Perhaps we should stop going to G.R.

We headed outside to the truck. I don't know how many times i lifted the door handle, just to double check. We don't have a cell phone. We don't have anyone's number memorized. We are in Grand Rapids. We don't have AAA. But we were lucky enough to have Arlen working there that day. He took pieces of wood and squeezed them through the door and unlocked our car. Thank you Arlen!

Oh ya- and we test drove a saturn vue. I really liked it!

No comments: