Sunday, June 17, 2007

My Daddy-o

Today, memories of doing the twist at daddy-daughter dances flooded my head. I distinctly remember one year i wore a hot pink and black stripped shirt and mini skirt with black tights and black boots. My dad got me a carnation, which i still have in a scrapbook. I remember doing the twist and dancing on dad's feet. I remember going to UofM games, tiger's games, and piston's games. I remember going grocery shopping with him at meijers. I remember helping him put up his Christmas tree. I remember buttered noodles, shrimp salad, and homemade pizza. I remember fishing (talking) out on Platte Lake. I remember going to the beach and playing games and going swimming. I remember building forts out of all the cushions at his union lake house. I remember going to Chicago with him. I remember visiting antique stores with him and learning about old things. I remember him coming to dreadfully long plays, talent shows, and violin concerts to watch me. I remember tubing behind his boat and swinging with him on the porch swing. I remember riding on the back of his motorcycle. I remember "i love a parade' and 'going to the fair'. I remember putting discarded hair back in his hairbrush (ha ha!). I remember visiting him at work and looking in the electronics room and sitting at his desk. I remember making precious treasures on my pottery wheel. I remember when his hanging plant fell on my head while i was sleeping. I remember playing in the hot tub, always scared i would get my hair stuck in the ever-sucking drain. I remember the letter he gave me on my wedding day. I remember him giving me my Chevette (death mobile) after i crashed into a bus with my other car. I remember him sending money to me at college. I remember his Lincoln town cars, old red pick-up, dodge pick up, saab, and various jeeps. . . sometimes we went off roading. I remember him coming to my mom's for Christmas breakfasts. I remember a surprise party for him. . . he rocked back and forth almost the whole time. I remember when he fell on the ice at my aunt's house while he was playing around with my brothers. I remember when he gave me a copy of Tuesdays with Morrie with a message in it to read it every ten years. I I remember giving me away at my wedding. I remember him going into the kitchen of a restaurant because jered said that's where the bathroom was. I remember dad wearing an embarrassing shirt to Jered's graduation to get back at jered for the previous memory.


I am so thankful for all those memories. I am so thankful that God gave me my dad. I have learned a lot from him--from his patience, his wisdom from his life experiences, his peaceful spirit, his sense of humor, and his love. Because of him, i have learned the importance of communicating, living a life of no regrets, and, most importantly, how to do the twist. I love you daddy-o.

Fishing out on Platte Lake
My dad with his dad sitting on the porch. . . my dad always faces the lake!
Me and dad in California
I love this picture of my relaxed dad
Dad holding his newborn-one-and-only daughter
Isn't he stylin'?
I just opened my Casio stereo from dad

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So I work 11 hours tonight and I get home at 5am and check the blogs. Everyone needs a good "happy" cry to start Monday morning. These are great memories and add validation to my mundane life. I am very proud to be your Dad!