Thursday, June 14, 2007

Yikes

Here is the first of many old stories i rescued from an old floppy, while i still had a computer that would take a floppy. I am not saying that it was worth saving, but here it is regardless. I chose to share this one because i just finished watching season 2 disc four of 90210. I guess i better keep working and reading. 90210 was great to read to. Now i am watching How to Lose a guy in Ten Days. I think i have watched this at least 15 times. I better go water my love fern.

“Your Face is Going to Stick Like That”
By Lindsey Michael

My brother, ignoring the fact that my immature mind was in amazement at the sight of Miss Piggy on roller-skates, clicked the T.V. to channel 45 to watch the A-Team make more guns and kill more people. My brother always liked to watch the most unrealistic shows like the A-Team. At the thought of not being able to see Miss Piggy fall in love with Kermy at the end of the movie, a sneer slowly crept onto my face to be discovered for the first time. I ran to my mom’s room to tell her that Jered, my brother, was being a big meanie. My mother laid eyes on my sneer and at the first glance was silent, but then after many sneers, told me that my face would stick like that. At the first sound of these words, I would just sneer more and make more faces at her, but the more that she said my face would stick like that, the more I began to doubt my face muscles’ abilities to bounce back into place. I found myself occasionally running to the bathroom and locking the door, only to study my face in the mirror for any evidence of muscle stickage. I, of course, would never allow my mom to know that there was fear in my heart that her words held some truth.
A few years later, I was watching Brenda, Brandon, and the rest of the 90210 clan being so cool. My friend and I always called each other about the episode each week after the show ended. I made my way to the phone as soon as the credits began to scroll down my television screen, thinking to myself, “I can’t believe that Donna said that to Kelly, like what a brat.” I rounded the corner at the end of the hallway to find my brother on the phone. The now familiar sneer took over my face. Now I was forced to keep all my deep feelings about this week’s episode inside. I felt like I was going to explode, so I made sure that my brother saw my sneer.
Mostly my family was the main witness of this expression, but a teacher who asked me to speak in front of the class, or a waitress who placed inedible food in front of me at a restaurant would also be flashed this uncontrollable sneer. At times I would feel some regret, but most of the time I did not even realize that the sneer had found its way to my face again.
I soon discovered many other expressions that planted themselves on my face. My expressions grew from a variety of seeds within me. A smile would often replace my sneer to tell the tale of my inner happiness. The frustration, worry, and joy that lived inside of me quickly learned to transform themselves into an expression that can sit upon my face. I soon realized that my face will not stick at all because my emotions never will.

No comments: